Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and Football: Game Tag-alongs

Football season is officially in full swing. Squalicum High School, my alma mater and the school my dad coaches for, has played three games so far. And, I am proud to announce that they have a record of 3-0! I love watching football games, and being apart of almost everything that comes a long with this strategic sport: after game get togethers, celebrating at Applebee's, Thursday team dinners, the cool crisp air of the nights, bundling up in sweaters and blankets, and of course the excitement of the game.
However for me, more than just this wonderful list comes along with each football season; obstacles that have to be overcome, tag along as well. These include, non-accessible stadiums, poorly designed stadiums, inconsiderate people, and overall just plain ignorance.
Every Thursday night before each Friday night football game, some of the moms from the team provide a meal for all the athletes, managers, coaches and their families. Since my dad is a coach and my sister is the team manager, my mom and I always go to the team dinners. Two out of the three Thursday nights, a car was parked in the cross walk part of the handicap spot. The first night, we found this inconvenience when we exited the school after the dinner. A car was parked right next to our van, as if the cross walk part was an actual spot. The next Thursday night, we showed up for the dinner and there was a car diagonally parked, partially blocking the handicap spot, as well as partially in the cross walk part. I do not understand, the spot is marked. Both times, the cars were parents of children who play club soccer; not anyone associated with Squalicum High School football!
Car parked in cross walk part of handicap spot

Car's license plate

Car blocking handicap spot

Two Fridays ago, we traveled to Sedro Woolley to battle the Cubs. That game was so nerve raking the entire time, and we won by one point! While at the game, I did sit in the stands. I like to sit in the stands to be with my family and friends. The away stands, granted they are old, are so inconvenient (for me and others). I have to sit in the walkway, and if I sit straight, I take up the entire width of the walkway. People have to walk up and around and back down, or step over me. 
Chilling in the walkway

Another inconvenience with the stadium is, when I enter the field, I have to cross in front of the stadium, so travel all the way to the other side of the stadium, in grass I might add, to get to the ramp. Now, for me this is not such a big deal. However, for a person who is not able to use the stairs, but can still walk or uses a manual chair, it probably is difficult for them to travel far distances, and/or trek through grass. This is not a smart set-up. I hope if Sedro's stadium is ever remodeled, that the architect  would think about their poor design, and fix it.
Unfortunately, remodeled stadiums that have been brought up to ADA standard, are not always built very well either. Civic, Squalicum's home stadium, has been remodeled and is pretty nice; I love almost everything about the home side. The one thing that I dislike about the home side is, the handicap section is also a "main" walkway. The downfall of this is the walkway passes in front of where I and others who cannot use the stairs, sit. Last Friday night, I counted how many people walked in front of me. When the buzzer bonged to announce the end of the first quarter, 168 people had passed through the handicap walkway. Four of which I know came from the concession stands, walked up the entrance on the right side of the walkway, crossed in front of us sitting in the handicap section, and then proceeded up the stair case next to the other entrance on the left side of the walkway.
Last night, I attended the Anacortes versus Sehome game, and I tried to sit in the handicap section that is all the way at the top of the stadium. The pros of sitting at the very top is one, no one ever walks in front of you, and that is actually about it. The down falls of sitting up there is one, only one person can sit with you, two, the field is so far away the players all look like colored moving dots and three, the door to the hall leading to the elevator can get locked. Last night, I had to use the bathroom, but the door leading to the elevator had been locked. I am so glad that my mom was with me, because I am not physically able to knock on the window to get the announcers attention. What would happen if a person who could not use the stairs or knock on the window, ended up on the platform by themselves, and needed to leave? I do not think I will ever sit up there again.
I love football games and I am thankful for Civic's accessibility. I have made adaptions, like sitting in walkways, and having people walk behind me, so I can enjoy the game like everyone else. I am so proud of the Squalicum football players. Keep up the great work boys, and I cannot wait to see how the rest of the season plays out. Go Storm!     



1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, Kyann! I am an interior design major and I just designed a kitchen and apartment that is wheelchair accessible. I think what you are doing is very important, and I want to recommend your blog to my class so that they can get more ideas on accessible design! :)

    ReplyDelete