Sunday, June 2, 2013

Warm Hearts Triumph the Cold: A Winter Quarter Review

Overall, I had a pretty good winter quarter. I really only had one mishap with the Disability Resources for Students (DRS), and I would have to say that it was my favorite quarter so far at Western. I had an amazing professor for Macroeconomics whose passion for teaching made the class so enjoyable. My professor wanted us all to do well and I really liked his class; for the first time at Western, I was a little sad when the quarter ended. I want to thank my professor, John Hayfron, for giving me a better appreciation for economics and for helping me, as well as others, to succeed in your class. Another amazing part about Macroeconomics was that I had the most spectacular note taker that I have ever had! Kate you are awesome; thank you so much for your incredible notes and I enjoyed studying with you! I hope we will be in another class together in the future.
Unfortunately, the one mishap with the DRS turned my sweet quarter a little sour. It occurred towards the end of the quarter. I was informed that the college decided to make one of the rooms in the DRS the designated spot for mothers to nurse their babies. Why the college decided to do this is beyond me; I am for the campus to have a designated room for nursing mothers, but there are many other rooms that are more appropriate to choose from to accommodate mothers. This room that has been designated for mothers in the DRS happens to be the room that I take all my tests in. When being informed of this new decision, one of the ladies from the DRS told me that I could still take my test in that room, as long as it was not occupied nor going to be occupied by a mother. She said she could do nothing about it and had raised the question of why that room had been given priority to mothers to nurse, as the room IS in the DRS. The next week I went to take another test. The lady who informed me about the room was at lunch, so one of the counselors gave me my test. I went into the room, like I always have, and started taking my test. I saw one of the other counselors walk past the room and then walk back past the other way. Shortly after this, the counselor who walked passed the room started talking to the counselor who gave me my test. The counselor who gave me my test then came into the room, while I was in the middle of my test, and told me that I could no longer test in the room I was in, as it was a lactation room for mothers. I followed her to the large testing room and I explained to both the counselors that if I could no longer test in the room that I had always tested in, then I needed a higher table to be placed in the large testing room. This room is filled with desks and does have a table; however, this table is so low that my wheelchair cannot fit under it, and because I am legally blind, the paper is so far away from my face, it is difficult for me to see the writing unless I lean way over. This is not comfortable, as my back is fused, and who wants to be physically uncomfortable while taking a test? I have taken two tests since this occurrence, and an accommodating desk has still not been placed into the large testing room. Since the incident, I have taken my tests in the lactating room because I have asked the lady who proctors the tests, and she has approved this. The lack of communication that caused the interruption of my testing is frustrating.
Even though there was this frustrating bump in the road, I still would have to say that Winter quarter has been my favorite so far at Western! Thanks again to my Macroeconomics professor, I really enjoyed your class! And, thanks again to Kate for being an amazing note taker!

No comments:

Post a Comment