Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Best for Last: Another Spring Quarter

As of now, I only have 29 more credits until I can graduate! So, if everything goes as planned, this past Spring quarter was my last, and I will graduate Winter quarter of 2015! I did not plan on saving my best Spring quarter for my last Spring quarter, it just happened that way. For the previous eight quarters, I have been fighting for my rights as a disabled student at Western. When I finally began to receive the accommodations that I needed, I was finally able to take four classes (instead of three), and I earned the highest GPA than I ever have my entire time at Western. I did not struggle to keep afloat, and more importantly, I was not frustrated by the DisAbility Resources for Students (DRS), which made my quarter way more pleasant. I loved my computer reading my textbooks to me, instead of struggling to read them myself or having someone else take their time to read them to me. I also highly appreciated having a personal notetaker that I could talk to and tell them exactly what I was looking for in notes; instead of relying on some random person in the class to write down the most important things in an easy to follow manner, or not having anyone volunteer to take/share notes at all. Another positive thing that happened was one of my classes was going to be in an inaccessible classroom, and even before I had to ask, my DRS counselor pointed out that I would not be able to access that room, so she was going to change it, and she did! I also never had to ask a student to move from the one accessible table, as they did reserve it for me both times I took an exam in the DRS. I am not too fond of "having a table just for me", I rather be able to just sit at any table that is unoccupied, but I cannot; so, having them reserve it is the second best option so I do not have to disturb someone, by asking them to move, as they are testing at the only table I can sit at. The only accommodation that did not work out was the camera that would allow me to see the board. This camera would only clearly view the board if I was around ten feet away. This was a problem because I cannot always access the front of the room. The other problem was, this camera could only be connected to a PC, and I have a Mac. This meant that I had to rent a PC from the DRS, but I did not want to carry around two computers! However, since I had really good notetakers, not being able to see the board was not a problem. Thank you to both my amazing notetakers, Kini and Molly. I am glad to have met you both, and I will miss having you in class!
Something that happened multiple times this past quarter was that obstacles were appearing all over; they ranged from temporary cars on pathways to new ropes to designate queue lines that had worked previously without the ropes.
There was a  loading truck completely blocking the pathway by the Communications building leading from the handicap spots to the handicap accessible entrance, so I had to either wait for the workers to finish and move on their way or go all the way around to the front of the building and then use the elevator; but the tractor that parked in the same spot couple of days later left enough room, so I could access the handicap spots by driving into the parking lot. Now, in both of these situations, if I could have been able to use the same doors as everyone else does to enter the Communications building from the parking lot, these two obstacles would not have been a problem! Around the same time, a work truck parked at the end of the ramp leading out of Miller Hall; fortunately this did not trap me in Miller, but it did greatly inconvenience me. I had to go back inside, and go to the elevate, and then use the elevator to go down a half floor! I totally rather use the ramp because the elevator takes so long; Miller is a five story building with half floors.

A sidewalk leads to the patio that is in front of the main entrance to the Communications Facility building.  To the left of the pathway are bushes, and to the right sits the accessible parking. On the patio, a large white truck is parked, blocking the pathway from the accessible parking to the accessible entrance. 

A tractor parked on the patio in front of the Communications Facility building, blocking the pathway from the accessible entrance to the accessible parking; this tractor is blocking the same pathway as the loading truck picture, just taken from the other side.

A white work truck is parked at the end of the brick ramp that leads out of Miller Hall, blocking the path to Red Square that is located just beyond the ramp. 

The two sets of queues that appeared this past quarter, made Subway and Starbucks inaccessible to me; and made it extremely difficult to travel through Arntzen. I could not fit in the queue line (and neither could any other person using a wheelchair). When asked, the manager explained that her supervisor said it was necessary to have the queue lines, and since people in wheelchairs could not access the lines, they could just cut to the end and make their order there. As a person in a wheelchair, this is not what I want to hear. First of all, I want to be treated just like everyone else; I do not want special access, I want equal access. There is also the fact that others are not so gracious when it comes to someone cutting in line, definitely when they have been waiting for their food for fifteen minutes; I do not like it so much myself! The other problem is, at Subway, it is set up for a person to go through the line, not just order at the cash register. Besides the inaccessible queue lines, the ropes got in the way when traveling through Arntzen. To get to an empty table by Subway, I had to drive through all the occupied tables (which are all closely spaced together). Before (and now), I was able to access an empty table by Subway by passing in-between the right of the line and the left of the pole, but for some reason, the manager's supervisor thought it would be a grand idea to put a queue line there. However, now that the line is back to the way it was, I, and every other person in a wheelchair can order Subway just like anyone else and we do not have to struggle to get to an empty table if it is by Subway! 

The queue line right in front of the Subway located in Arntzen. The queue creates a single switchback line which people have filled. To the right of the queue there is a pole, and to the right of that are tables and chairs.

The queue line now (and how it was prior to Spring quarter). The queue runs parallel to the Subway counter leaving a pathway in between the queue and the pole to the right of the photo. A line of people waiting to order has formed.    

The queue line at Arntzen Starbucks during Spring quarter stretched out, curved around and stopped in the middle of the walkway (pictured below); this means that there was a black leg with the round stand right smack in the middle of the way; every time I wanted to pass through, I had to ask someone to move the black leg, and every time I had someone move it, I had them place it right next to the one that you can see in the second picture below. This queue line not only made it extremely hard for me to pass through that area, but it also made it difficult for me to stand in line at Starbucks,

The Starbucks queue in Arntzen during Spring quarter. There is a black pole sitting in the middle of the walkway. About sixteen to eighteen inches to the right of the pole is a wall, to the left is a line of people filling the queue. Beyond the pole is a doorway leading out of the area where the Starbucks is located. 

The queue line now (and before Spring quarter)at Starbucks in Arntzen. 
This picture is taken from the doorway in the previous photo. The pole that designates the location of the line has been slid over away from the wall and out of the pathway that leads to/from the doorway.

After being passed around from the manager to her supervisor and trying to get the queue lines moved back to the way the had been since Arntzen had been remodeled, I decided it was time to contact the Vice-President of the college. After a phone call and pictures had been sent to the Vice-President, the queue lines were reverted back to the way they were prior to Spring Quarter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment