Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Finally Treated as a Person, Not a Burden: A New Educational Experience

Today, I had a positive experience, one in which showed me that employees at a higher education facility really can care about their students. This experience made me contemplate why I went straight to a four year university; this is not because I was not academically ready, but because I probably would have enjoyed myself more while furthering my education.

In the past, I have had numerous experiences that have left me with a sour perspective on higher education, but today when I attended Whatcom Community College, my perspective began to change. During the process of signing up for an accounting class, I had encounters with numerous employees who all portrayed that they each cared for me and treated me as a person.

The first person that I talked to was a man at the information station. At first, I was not impressed as the window was above my head, however, my mind was quickly changed. When I spoke to the man in the window, he was quite kind and informative. He exited his office to hand me an admissions form; he also took the initiative to find me a clipboard to fill out my form (as I could not reach the window ledge); I was so impressed that I did not have to ask!

My second encounter was with a student worker at the admissions office; he was kind and helped me accomplish what I needed to do, and then I went on my way. My third encounter was just as short, but the lady who helped me sign-up for a drop-in appointment with an advisor was also kind to me. Even though I had already felt welcomed by the staff I had already encountered, it was the advising counselor who I was most impressed with. She introduced herself and instantly started talking to me like I was any other potential student. She listened to me, made eye contact, and helped me not just find and sign up for classes, but also by reading and filling out paperwork. When she started pointing at and reading a paper that was sitting her on the desk (the paper positioned so we both could read it), I informed her that I was legally blind and could not read the information -- so she offered to read it more thoroughly to me. When it came time to fill out some paper work, she offered to fill it out. This is so uncommon for me, but seemed so natural to her; this was a small, kind gesture, but it made me feel welcome, and not as a burden.

After I finished my meeting with the advisor, I returned to the registrar's office to deliver the paper work that the advisor filled out. This brings me to my fifth and final encounter. This time I talked to a lady, rather than the student; she was kind and informative as well. However, when I dropped my ID number, she exited her office to pick it up for me. She also brought me my schedule as I could not reach it from behind the window; I did not have to ask.

I am amazed with my first impression of Whatcom Community College; I felt welcome, I felt like I belonged. For the first time in a long time, college seems like an enjoyable place. I look forward to furthering my education in a place that treats me like a person.  

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you had a good experience there Kyann. It always leads me to wonder...if someone is going to be rude or discounting to you: a pretty, intelligent and lovable young woman ~ what chance for a fair treatment do my other friends who aren't so smart or attractive have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your question is one of the main things that drives my passion of advocating for people with disabilities. I know that all people are blessed with different gifts, and I have been gifted with a voice and a talent of writing. I feel like I have a responsibility to share my gift with others. In sharing my experiences, I can educate the public in hopes of showing the world that those of us with disabilities are people, have likes and dislikes, and have something to offer.

      Delete