Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Ms. Wheelchair Washington 2016 Platform: Equal Opportunity

Two weekends ago, I had the opportunity to participate in Ms. Wheelchair Washington 2016. As part of the competition, we were required to give a two minute speech about our platform. The platform that I ran on was "Equal Opportunity". Here is my speech that I gave:

"Over the years, I have observed that people with disabilities do not always have access to an equal opportunity. Whether this is due to ignorance or deliberate behavior, it needs to be changed.

Equal opportunity includes having equal access to transportation and housing as well as equal access to education and jobs. However, change takes time and the most important change has to do with people's mind sets.

I have heard three common beliefs: 'Disabled people get enough. Why should disabled people get special treatment. The lives of people with disabilities has dramatically improved over the past fifty years, so why are you complaining now?'

As Ms. Wheelchair, I will teach that accomplishments are not extra but equal and I will advocate for change in order to achieve an equal opportunity for all.

Having a disability is a part of who I am; however not having access to an equal opportunity is what truly makes me disabled.

As I close, I leave you with a poem I have written that reflects this thought.

I may have a disability, 
but I am only disabled when people look past my abilities.

I may not be able to walk, 
but I am only disabled when I am without my wheels.

I may not be able to climb a flight of stairs, 
but I am only disabled when there is not an equivalent elevator. 

I may not be able to step down when the sidewalk ends, 
but I am only disabled when there is not curb cut out.

I may have a disability, 
but I am only disabled when people look past my abilities."

2 comments: