Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Accommodations and Barriers: A Teaching Opportunity

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to speak with a class of students from Japan attending Western Washington University (WWU). This week they are learning about disabilities, as well as, accommodations and barriers that people with disabilities may encounter on a day to day basis. The students asked me questions, and I was able to share my personal experiences of having two disabilities, and at the same time, advocate for an equal opportunity for those of us who are disabled.

The first student, who asked a question, inquired about when I graduated from WWU (they had been previously informed that I had attended WWU). I answered by telling the class that I had graduated the previous March, so March 2015.

The second student, who asked me a question, asked what my major was. I told the class that I majored in Political Science. I learned that in Japan a Political Science major is called a Law major.

For the third question, a student asked about my interests and hobbies. I explained that I love to write, and I have a passion for advocating for people with disabilities; I talked about this blog, and how I love to post my thoughts and experiences. I also mentioned that I enjoy spending time with my friends and going to coffee. Traveling, listening to music, and watching Gilmore Girls round out my hobbies and interests!

When answering question number four, I had the chance to talk about my dreams for the future. I shared how I have the desire  to one day start a non-profit or business that would have the capacity to teach corporations and businesses how to hire people with disabilities. I explained that many people with disabilities are looked at as a liability and an expense to a company, but if provided with the right information and resources, this should not be the case. However, corporations may be ignorant to what is available, and therefore, not hire people with disabilities. I informed the class that both the unemployment rate and the percentage of unemployed, working-aged people with disabilities are quite high especially when compared to that of the able-bodied population.

The next question -- my favorite question -- is a question that is so easily asked by children, but has been deemed rude and unacceptable to pass through one's lips. However, I encourage people to ask this question. When one student asked what disabilities I have, I was happy to answer her. I not only explained to the class that I was born with a neuromuscular disorder that affects my nerves and muscles that causes me to be unable to walk along with some other things, but that I appreciate when people ask this question. I understand that people are curious -- I am curious -- and I would rather people ask, or allow their children to ask, what is wrong with me, rather than shy away, as I can then share that nothing is really wrong with me, but that I just get around in a different way. I also explained to the class that I am legally blind, but according to doctors, this is not caused by the neuromuscular disorder.

A second part of the fifth question consisted of the same student asking what accommodations I have received that have helped me throughout my life. I touched on how my power wheelchair is one of the greatest pieces of technology that I have been able to utilize. I talked about how my wheelchair gives me the freedom to have mobility, and independently venture from place to place. I explained that just like glasses give many people the ability to see, my wheelchair gives me the ability to walk; similarly, when a person who has 20/20 vision with their glasses on is not considered disabled, I am not disabled until there is an access barrier. It is not my disorder that makes me disabled, but the lack of accessibility around me.

The last question I was asked may appear as having a complex answer; however, this is not the case. I was asked how someone should interact with a person with a disability. The answer: the same. I explained that a person with a disability is a person, and therefore, when one meets a person with a disability, they should interact in the same manner as when meeting any person.

After the session of questions, I had the opportunity to participate in a scavenger hunt finding accommodations and barriers on WWU's campus. I showed the class that the main entrance to the Communication Facilities (CF) is not accessible, and the route I have to take in order to access the building. I showed them that even though there are two elevators in CF, only one provides access to the parking lot (and this is not indicated by a sign). I also mentioned that I cannot open any inside doors.

After leaving CF, we traveled toward the Environmental Studies (ES) building (the students were on their way to Smate), and came to a flight of stairs. The professor challenged the students to figure out how I was to overcome this barrier to reach the upper level of the walkway as there is no sign indicating an accessible route. After a long pause, one student suggested that I use the elevator in ES. So, the majority of the class climbed the stairs, while six of us ventured into ES to utilize the elevator. When in the elevator, I was able to show the handful of students I was with that some of the buttons were too high for me to reach -- this could be another barrier.

I believe it is important to educate people about disability; without education, there is no chance of gaining an equal opportunity in life. As long as people continue to be ignorant about disability, it will continue to be a scary taboo, a topic that no one wants to talk or think about. Disability needs to be yanked out from under the rug; this raw subject needs to be exposed. Disability cannot afford to be ignored; it is a part of life.

So, thank you, Laura and the AUAP Yellow class at WWU, for letting me have the opportunity to speak to your class!

Me with the AUAP class in front of the Communication Facilities building 
on Western's campus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment