Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Comfort v. Ease: The Wheel of Two Chairs

I have two wheelchairs: one manual, one power. A manual wheelchair is operated via one's own power or the power of another, while a power wheelchair can be electronically operated via a pair of batteries and a joystick.

My manual chair -- which I paid for out of pocket -- is exactly what I wanted. It fits me well; it is comfortable and fashionable. I feel good in my manual chair, not just physically, but psychologically as well. However, there is one catch, I am not physically able to independently propel my chair in order to get from point A to point B.

On the other hand, my power chair solves this; when using my power chair, I have the ability to freely move from point A to point B with the flick of  joystick. Unfortunately, my power chair -- which was purchased through my insurance -- is too big for me; the seat swallows me; there is not enough support and I slide all around. This is uncomfortable, and within a half an hour of sitting in my power chair, I am in pain. I need to use my chair ALL day; it is my access to mobility, but it is not enjoyable to be in pain all day.

This dilemma has forced me to choose comfort over ease.  Either way, I have mobility, but it would be more beneficial to me if my power chair fit me comfortably, on top of giving me my independence and freedom.

I have had this power chair for a little less than a year, and with the insurance under which I am covered, I can get a new power chair every five years. So, here's to figuring out how to be comfortable and independently mobil. I am pretty sure four years will give us enough time to figure that out... However, getting a new power chair does not guarantee that it will be a comfortable fit. And, by that point, who knows what insurance will be like, and if I will even be able to get another power chair (but that is a topic for another time).  

No comments:

Post a Comment