Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Segregated Stadiums: Unnecessary Unaccessiblity

Track is a big part of my life; my parents coach and my sister throws the shot and discus. I have been to many different stadiums and what I have encountered is disappointing. I feel as if handicap people are not expected to watch track meets and if they are, no one thinks that they would want to sit with everyone else. Oh, another thing is, people must believe those in wheelchairs and others who cannot use the stairs, love getting wet.
Most stadiums that have a ramp, are only ramped to the very first stair level, which means, if it is raining, the cover will not prevent the rain from pouring onto the handicapped area. The other thing is the ramps lead right up to the walk way, so the place where a person in a wheelchair sits is so inconvenient. When I sit in Blaine High School and Sedro Woolley High School's stadiums, I always feel in the way. However, Lake Washington High School and Lynden High School's stadiums (on the away side), as well as Lynden Christian's stadium are even worse because I cannot sit in them at all. The one stadium that I despise the most is Marysville High School's stadium. There is a handicap section but, it is off to one side and feels super segregated in comparison to all the other seats.
Two weekends ago, 23 athletes from the Squalicum Track Team went to state. 2A State Track is held at Mt. Tahoma High School. So, I have now spent three different weekends at this high school and know it pretty well. What I have come to find is the grounds are not accessible to the point of a person in a wheelchair being able to go everywhere by themselves. I am not able to get to the discus ring as the side walk was blocked by bleachers and there is not a curb cut out at the entrance of the walk way. I have to go down the curb, cross the drive and then go up the other curb. this means I need two people to help me lower my wheelchair down to curb and up onto the curb on the other side of the drive. I also have to drive off the curb to get to the shot put ring because there is not a curb cut out. I also have not been pleased with the handicap seating for the past three years, however, it was better this year. The handicap section is blocked off to all people unless they have a disability. When a person sits in the handicap section, they have to be against the wall and can have only one person with them. The people who guard the handicap section do not appreciate it when those sitting in the handicap section want to come and go and not just stay sitting in their spot. I did not enjoy sitting in Mt. Tahoma's Stadium.
Unfortunately, Washington is not the only state to have this problem. Last weekend, we traveled to Portland, Oregon, where my sister and two of her friends competed at the Boarder Dual. I was able to get in the stadium, but just like Blaine and Sedro Wooley's stadiums, I sat in the walk way and the stadium roof was not going to keep out all the wet. Another thing about this stadium is it was built into the hill. So, the parking lot was up behind the high part of the stadium. The only way to get into the stadium from the parking lot was down the stairs or traveling down and around where the cars drive and then back across the track. I actually got to race on the track for the first time: race the races.
Even though Civic Stadium here in Bellingham has a handicap section on the away side, the ramps are very inconveniently located and the accessible area is segregated off from all the other seats. At track meets and football games, I am not able to sit with everyone else. However, there is one thing that I have leaned to appreciate about Civic Stadium is the handicap section is in the middle of the levels and is pretty covered by the roof. I also like that there are seats for other people, like family and friends, to sit by me. Snohomish high school's stadium is a lot like Civic Stadium. It has a well covered handicap area and has seats for others to sit there as well. The section is not segregated for the rest of the seats, as it is in the middle levels and is not off to one side.
This photo is of the away side at Civic Stadium in Bellingham, Wa. The handicap section is the cement area below all the seats.

This photo is of the home side at Civic Stadium here in Bellingham, Wa. The handicap section is the cement area that is right behind the seats.
I hope that in the future when stadiums are being remodeled or built that architects keep handicap accessibility and equality in mind. I love cheering on our track athletes and I would appreciate the ability to sit in the same, dry area as everyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Kyann, I'm Thea's cousin Joy, and I thank you for your blog. I'm learning a great deal from you.

    ReplyDelete