Friday, June 8, 2012

Through Rose Colored Glasses: The Supposed Perks of Being in a Wheelchair

There is an ignorance that comes along with being uneducated; the awareness of what it is like to have a disability is very low. When talking to people who do not have a disability, I have noticed that many will says things like, "Oh, you get to park in the close parking spots," or "You're so lucky that you do not have to walk around all day." Other comments include, "You're in a wheelchair, does that mean you can cut lines at Disneyland?" and "You can get into any college you want and there are so many scholarships available for you, I'm jealous!"
Even though it is nice that people are trying to hold a conversation with me (as many people will not), I do not appreciate the blanket, uneducated statements. About handicap parking spots, they are not as special as people make them out to be. For starters, the law states that for every 25 parking spots, there must be one handicap spot, and for every ten handicap spots, there must be one handicap van parking spot. Now, even though there are less people with disabilities than able bodied people, the 25:1 ratio does not fit anymore as more and more people are acquiring handicap placards and the ratio of parking spots to regular parking spots has not gone up. So, many people who do not need their placard anymore still have them, as those who had a broken foot are able to renew theirs even though they don't need it and others with elderly grandparents abuse theirs by using it when grandma isn't in the car. Another sad thing about handicap parking occurs more than it should. I see cars, without a handicap placard or plates, parking in the designated handicapped spots all the time. I do not understand why they cannot just take a "normal" spot. One time at Fred Meyer, my mom asked a boy why he was parked in the handicap spot and his response was, "What, this is a handicap spot? I had no idea!" He was standing right in front of the handicapped sign. Well, my question is should he be driving? By law, all handicapped spots are clearly marked with a sign. Also, the handicapped symbol is painted in the middle of the parking lines; even a legally blind girl like me can see that they are clearly marked! There are so many times that I have had to park in a non-handicapped spot. This entails only pulling half way into the spot so there is enough room to lower the ramp. Then, I have to get out of the van behind another parked car so the van can be pulled the rest of the way into the spot. During this process there are many disgruntled people as some think we are leaving and others are just grumpy that we are in the way. Another downfall about handicap spots is, the van handicap spot is usually the closest handicap spot to the door so, it is almost always the first to be filled. The problem with this is it is usually taken by people who do not need to lower a ramp. Not all handicapped spots are wide enough to accommodate a ramp. It would be nice if other handicapped spots were available so that those who did not need the van spot would not take it. More and more people are buying handicapped vans so there is a need for more van accessible parking spots than 10 years ago. I wish people would stop abusing their freedom to do what they want to do and start paying attention to what they should do.
Not only are people ignorant and selfish when it comes to handicap parking spots, people are just as mind boggling when it comes to lines at Disneyland. I have been told so many times that I am super lucky that I do not have to wait in lines at theme parks. At some places this is the case and this privilege I have to admit is nice. However, this privilege is slowly disappearing due to so many people taking advantage of this compensation. I say it is a compensation because most rides are not handicapped accessible and discriminate against the disabled person desiring to ride the ride. The main reason rides are not accessible is because when entering the ride a rider enters from one side of the track and then when the ride is over, they exit on the other side of the track. A wheelchair is not going to be able to cross the tracks to get to the other side, so when a person in a wheelchair rides, they enter from the exit. This is why we do not have to wait; there really is not a line for us. However, this is changing as people are abusing the "non-lines." I have witnessed people at Disneyland SPRINTING to the section of wheelchairs to rent them so they too can access the "non-lines." Now, for most rides, fast passes are used for everyone, but people in wheelchairs still have to enter from the exit.
With regards to not having to walk around all day, I would be happy to trade with anyone who desires to sit all the time. I have learned to adapt to my life style but, I would think that no one would really want to be confined to a wheelchair. I know that this comment is one of those things people say to those of us in wheelchairs because they have no idea what to say; I guess it probably is a conversation starter. My tip to everyone is this is not the best statement to start with. If you want to talk to someone in a wheelchair, maybe start the conversation the same way you would with anyone else.
Another misconception about those of us in wheelchairs is that if we are mentally capable of going to school, that I can go where ever I want and that I will practically just be given scholarships. Well, to begin with, this does not make me feel that great. I want to be judged by me, Kyann, not as a person in a wheelchair that colleges and scholarship foundations feel sorry for. I want to be looked at on the same scale as any other person going to college. Another thing is, there are not as many scholarships for disabled people as some may think. When I looked, I had to search hard for the couple that actually applied to me. There were so many that just applied to handicapped students in a certain school district or state. Others want the disabled person to become they spokesperson/poster child and travel all over the county. What is the point of going to college if you are never there?
Do not be afraid to talk to handicapped people, most of us like talking to people and are capable of doing so. The one thing I ask is do not make blanket statements, just talk to us as you would any other person. You may be surprised at what you find!

No comments:

Post a Comment