Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Gaining My Freedom Back: Finally, the Precedented Apathy Has Been Broken

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!

My new power wheelchair arrived!

L ast Tuesday, I received a call informing me that my new power chair was ready to be delivered, and that Mike, the handy and delivery man for the company, could deliver my chair to me that coming Saturday or Sunday. I was extremely astonished, and completely overjoyed. I did not expect my chair for at least eight more weeks. The paperwork that I signed a couple weeks prior, indicated that it would take ten to twelve weeks, from the signing date, to receive the power wheelchair. I was even more astonished when I received a second call; this time it was Mike himself. He explained that if I was available, he could deliver my new chair the following day (this past Friday). And, he did!

In past experiences, the date indicated is always the minimum, and I have never had a power wheelchair delivered to me before the suggested delivery date. The first power chair that I ordered came about three months later; this arrival was right on schedule. The second power chair that I ordered took what see,ed like forever to make an appearance; it was a year in progress. My third power chair -- my first Permobil -- took five months to arrive. It had an electrical error, and I waited almost an entire year for the new Permobil (which was covered under warranty) to be delivered. So, for my new chair to be delivered within a two month time period from the first contact date, is absolutely amazing, and unprecedented.

Last June, I began the process of ordering a new power wheelchair. The power chair that I had at the time had died, and I was awaiting the day that it would be fixed. It was recommended to me that since my power wheelchair had died due to an electrical error, it was probably a good time to start pursuing a new power wheelchair. This sounded like a good idea to me, so I began the journey of ordering a new chair.

In the first days of this whole process, I contacted the Redman company. This is the company that has created the chair that I have desired for many years. This chair not only goes over six miles per hour, reclines, and elevates the foot rests, but it can configure the user into a standing position, but is still a rear-wheel drive chair. When I ordered my second chair, I was told that standing chairs did not exist. When I ordered my third chair -- my first Permobil -- I was told that standing chairs did exist, but only in combination with front-wheel drive chairs. Come to find out, Redman has been around for more than twenty years. The reason why I was told that rear-wheel drive power chairs do not exist is Redman, who makes this exact type of chair, does not contract with any medical supply companies; they do every step of the process themselves, cutting out the middleman (the medical supply company). The medical supply companies that I previously worked with to get my power chairs would have lost my business if I knew about Redman, and this time they did.

I absolutely love my new power wheelchair; I love my chair's functionality, I love(d) working with this company, and I love that I have my freedom back!

Kyann sitting in her new power wheelchair

Kyann standing in her new power wheelchair



3 comments:

  1. Oh my golly by gosh....Kyann standing. Love it! That is gonna be so good for your spine and legs, lymphatic system, and bone density. I will share info on this company with all the P.T.s I work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please share about this chair and the company; they are both Amazing!

      Delete
  2. Oh my golly by gosh....Kyann standing. Love it! That is gonna be so good for your spine and legs, lymphatic system, and bone density. I will share info on this company with all the P.T.s I work with.

    ReplyDelete