Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Progress Takes Time: Making the World More Accessible One Step at A Time

A couple weeks back, the parking lot of the building that Max Higbee (where I interned) rents was paved. All of the lines were repainted -- except the diagonal lines that indicate the access isle that is to accompany the accessible parking spot. Without the access isle, the "accessible" spot is no longer accessible to many who need that space to exit and enter their car. The international access symbol was repainted in the spot; however, this parking spot -- even with the international access symbol painted on the ground -- was not legally an accessible spot as the sign that is supposed to be at the front of the spot was missing. The line-lacking access isle was also blocked by a bike rack. The access isle was not intended to be a parking spot for bikes.  


The accessible parking spot in the parking lot at Max Higbee Center.The parking lot has recently been repaved, but the sign at the front of the spot (indicating that it is an accessible spot) and the diagonal lines (indicating the access isle) are both missing. There is also a bike rack in the supposed access isle.  

I acquired the e-mail address of Max Higbee Center's landlord. I first introduced myself, and then stated my case. In my e-mail I wrote,

"I noticed that the parking lot in front of Max Higbee and behind the Upfront has recently been paved. The handicap accessible spot caught my attention in that the access isle is no longer indicated with diagonal white stripes. I saw that the lines indicating the parking spots have already been repainted. Has it been planned for the diagonal white stripes to be repainted as well? 

I also have noticed that the bike rack sits partially in the access isle. This does not leave an adequate amount of space for someone who needs the access isle to exit and enter their car. 

Another technicality with the handicap parking spot is that even though the international access symbol has been repainted in the spot, the spot is not legally an accessible spot as it does not have the sign at the front indicating that it is an accessible spot. There is a for lease sign in about the place that the handicap parking sign should be."

The next day, I received a politically correct response of, "I'll look into it." Two weeks went by, and nothing had progressed any further. I asked my advisor to please check the progress of completing the accessible spot. She did. 

A total of (only) three weeks have now passed. I am thrilled to announce that the indicating sign has been rehung on the wall at the front of the accessible spot, and the bike rack has been moved. The diagonal lines have yet to be repainted, but progress has been made. Today, as I was leaving Max Higbee, there was a vehicle parked in the space where the diagonal lines are meant to be, but without that indication, how was the driver to know? This just shows that the lines are there for a reason, and in time, will be painted once again (hopefully without much more pursuit). 

Small steps over time will lead to large progress in the long run. 



No comments:

Post a Comment